Other Treatment Options
While your panic attacks and / or disorder may benefit from professional treatment, you can sometimes help to manage your symptoms on your own. Some of the lifestyle and self-care steps you can take include:
- Join a support group or forum for people with panic attacks or anxiety disorders so that you can connect with others facing the same problems
- Stick to your treatment plan. Facing your fears can be difficult, but treatment can help you feel like you’re not a hostage in your own home
- Avoid alcohol, illicit drugs and caffeine, all of which can worsen or trigger panic attacks
- Do physical activities, since aerobic activity may have a calming effect on your mood
- Get sufficient sleep — enough so that you don’t feel drowsy during the day
- Practice stress management and relaxation techniques. Meditation, yoga and guided imagery may be good options.